Cemetery Superintendent Job Opening
Please send resumes to email@example.com
TITLE: CEMETERY SUPERINTENDENT
- Individual is responsible for inurnments, interments, disinterment’s, re-interments, and any other duties as assigned by the Harrison Township Board of Trustees (the “Board”).
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Maintain, inspect and make repairs of cemetery grounds and buildings;
- Open and close grave sites when possible during normal working hours. When this is not permissible, for unforeseen reasons, to proceed during the weekend hours to get a grave ready for burial. If not able to prepare the grave site due to an approved absence, the employee will make arrangements with an approved substitute;
- Mow and trim cemetery property during the mowing season. Remove leaves in the Fall. Remove snow and/or ice during the Winter, as needed;
- Remove seasonal gravesite decorations as directed by the Harrison Township Board of Trustees;
- Direct part time and temporary cemetery workers authorized by the Board of Trustees. To request, schedule and oversee any Community Service Workers approved by the Board of Trustees;
- To report any complaints or out of the normal cemetery situations to the township Trustees for guidance in taking appropriate action;
- To oversee the cemetery and maintain enforcement of Harrison Township Cemetery Rules as directed by the Trustees.
- Handles client complaints and public inquiries regarding the cemetery;
- Check to make sure grave has been dug and interment setup has been done by vault company;
- Be available to direct traffic at cemetery;
- Assist funeral director as needed in closing grave;
- Hand dig grave for infant interment and/or cremation inurnment;
- Close grave;
- Provide assistance to Roads Superintendent when necessary;
- Must be fiscally responsible with Harrison Township purchases;
- Must give Fiscal Officer time cards no later than the last day (Saturday) of each pay period.
- Communicates with township officials, township officers, township employees, outside agencies and residents in with respect and dignity and in a professional and business-like manner;
- Must have basic computer skills and phone etiquette to be able to check email and phone messages on a regular basis.
NON-ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Performs related essential and non-essential functions as
I. SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
- Ability to use the following equipment: a variety of small hand and power tools, e.g. shovel, rake, weed eater, chain saw, power saw, etc., light to medium duty vehicles, heavy duty trucks, tractor, truck, backhoe, trackhoe, dump trailer and other related equipment as required to complete work assignments; and
- Ability to read and write and to comprehend and act upon written and oral instructions, policies, and procedures pertaining to assigned duties;
- Ability to perform a variety of unskilled and semi-skilled tasks relevant to Township cemetery activities; burials, construction, repair and maintenance of cemetery marker foundations;
- Ability to use power/air driven tools, light to medium equipment to complete work assignments;
- Ability to work well with others and to function as a member of a work crew;
- Knowledge of organizational and work zone safety practices and procedures and the ability to apply to the work environment;
- Ability to work well with the public;
- Knowledge of the policies, procedures, and methods of the Cemetery Department and the relationship they have to work assignments; and
- Knowledge of Occupational Safety and Health Administration policies and procedures relative to cemetery maintenance
- High school diploma or equivalent. Must maintain a telephone at place of residence and be available for work on short
- Work consists of routine tasks, following established procedures. Trustees provide general direction in following established practices and clear-cut policies. Errors in work may cause delays in work or losses in expenditures for materials and/or equipment or unjustified work time. Errors are readily detected and corrected through Trustees review. Errors in work are localized and result in limited loss of resources and/or minor inconvenience to the
- Need to assist Roads Superintendent when necessary.
III. PHYSICAL EFFORT AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: Physical Requirements
- Individual performs heavy work which may require lifting more than fifty (50) pounds frequently. The work of this position is primarily performed outside and requires sustained physical exertion while doing a variety of maintenance and repair activities. Individual may, from time to time, as determined by the Board, be required to pass a physical examination to determine the individual’s ability to perform essential job-based
- Individual must be able to see at close distances and beyond arm’s reach. Depth perception and peripheral vision are required to safely operate vehicles, trucks and other heavy equipment. Neck mobility is necessary when operating excavating
- Individual works outside, in the Harrison Township Cemetery, with exposure to extremes in temperatures and weather conditions, noise, dirt and mechanical hazards. Incumbent is frequently exposed to vibrations, atmospheric conditions, oil and various other hazards. Work must be exacting and incumbent may work alone. Work is also performed in the building at the cemetery.