HARRISON TOWNSHIP TRUSTEE MEETING
May 1, 2018
REGULAR MEETING CALL TO ORDER:
Chairman Joe DeFelice called the Regular Trustee Meeting of May 1, 2018 to order with the Pledge of Allegiance at 7:00pm at the Harrison Township Building, 2746 Weigand Road, Lockbourne, Ohio. Attending were Trustee Joe DeFelice, Trustee Mike Freeman, Trustee Bill Welsh, Fiscal Officer MaryAnn Elliott, Fire Chief Eric Edgington, Zoning Inspector Dale Hoover and Road/Cemetery Superintendent Kevin Hulse. Fire Captain Chad Noggle was also present.
HEARING OF VISITORS: None.
- Dale visited Preston Vance at VTS Properties regarding the vegetative screenings he was to plant around the perimeter of his property. He has planted seedlings. The Trustees did not specify the size to be planted.
- Fiscal Officer MaryAnn Elliott administered the Oath of Office to Zoning Inspector Dale Hoover for the term 4/15/2018 through 4/15/2022 and Dale signed his oath and bond.
- Kevin needs a small rototiller to plant grass seed. Dr. Freeman stated that Kevin can borrow his.
- Four new trash cans are needed at the cemetery. Mr. DeFelice stated he has 55 gallon plastic drums that can be used as trash cans in the cemetery.
- Shawn Rawlins submitted a price of $440.00 to lay a new foundation for the Trimble headstone which is leaning. Wellman Monument Company will help move the monument at no charge. Dr. Freeman made a motion to approve the proposals from Shawn Rawlins and Wellman Monument Company to pour a new foundation under the Trimble headstone. Mr. Welsh seconded the motion and the Trustees voted with three affirmative votes to approve the motion.
- Kevin had two proposals from Nutter Excavating for the repair of the culvert on Lockbourne Eastern Road south of Saint Paul Road for $4212.00 and $8540.00. The Trustees had previously received a proposal for Darby Creek Excavating for $3250.00.
A RESOLUTION TO ACCEPT THE PROPOSAL FROM DARBY CREEK EXCAVATING FOR $3250.00 TO BE PAID FROM PERMISSIVE MOTOR VEHICLE LICENSE TAX 2231-330-360-0000 TO REPAIR THE CULVERT ON LOCKBOURNE EASTERN ROAD SOUTH OF SAINT PAUL ROAD. Mr. DeFelice moved and Mr. Welsh seconded and the Trustees voted with three affirmative votes to approve R18-36.
- Kevin will have the septic tank at the Township building emptied before the election on May 8, 2018.
- Kevin submitted a note from his doctor saying he needs to be on light duty for four weeks. He can mow but not use the weed-eater. The Trustees told Kevin that he is only to do light duty work for the next four weeks. If there is no mowing or light duty work, Kevin is to go home and take sick time.
- Dr. Freeman has received questions regarding the cemetery rules and regulations. The Trustees agreed that the rules have been adopted for the safety of employees and all visitors to the cemetery and therefore need to be enforced.
- Ryan Scribner told Mr. DeFelice that the JEDD Board has agreed to pay $2000.00 toward the grant project on Lockbourne Eastern Road and Duvall Road. Craig Stevenson will begin preparing this grant project application.
- Mr. DeFelice is still trying to get Norfolk Southern Railroad to repair the damage done to Duvall Court East two years ago. Norfolk Southern is now saying the contractor who did the work is responsible for the road repairs.
FIRE CHIEF’S REPORT:
- The Chief is expecting another bid for the emergency exit stairs project.
- Engine 801 has been repaired and is in service.
- The Chief asked to go into Executive Session to discuss the promotion of a Fire Captain.
Mr. Welsh made a motion to go into executive session at 7:46pm to discuss a promotion to Captain within the fire department. Mr. DeFelice seconded the motion and the Trustees voted: Mr. DeFelice, yes; Mr. Welsh, yes; Dr. Freeman, yes.
At 8:01pm Mr. Welsh made a motion to leave executive session. Mr. DeFelice seconded the motion and the Trustees voted: Mr. DeFelice, yes; Mr. Welsh, yes; Dr. Freeman, yes.
Captain Chad Noggle rejoined the meeting.
A RESOLUTION TO PROMOTE COLT CLINE TO LIEUTENANT OF TWO UNIT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, BUT NO LATER THAN MAY 13, 2018, AT THE PAY RATE OF LIEUTENANT STATED IN THE CURRENT UNION CONTRACT. IF ALL REQUIREMENTS ARE SATISFACTORLY MET AFTER ONE YEAR AS LIEUTENANT, HE WILL BE PROMOTED TO CAPTAIN OF TWO UNIT. Mr. Welsh moved and Mr. DeFelice seconded and the Trustees voted with three affirmative votes to approve R18-37.
The Chief asked to go into executive session to consider the appointment of Fire Chief.
Mr. Welsh made a motion to go into executive session at 8:11pm to consider the appointment of Fire Chief. Mr. DeFelice seconded the motion and the Trustees voted: Mr. DeFelice, yes; Mr. Welsh, yes; Dr. Freeman, yes.
At 8:27pm Mr. Welsh made a motion to leave executive session. Mr. DeFelice seconded the motion and the Trustees voted: Mr. DeFelice, yes; Mr. Welsh, yes; Dr. Freeman, yes.
Mr. Welsh moved and Mr. DeFelice seconded a motion to accept the posting for the position of Fire Chief as corrected. (See Attached) The job position will be posted May 2, 2018 at the Harrison Township Fire Department with applications due May 29, 2018. The Trustees will hold interviews the week of June 11th and appoint the new Fire Chief on June 19th to begin on June 25th. The Trustees voted with three affirmative votes to approve this motion.
- The Trustees received an email from Giuseppe Vercellotti, PhD, who is excavating at the Cholera Cemetery. He has offered to meet with the Trustees to answer any questions since the current Trustees are new to the Trustee Board since this project was approved in 2014. Dr. Freeman will call him to get more information on this project.
ACTION ON MINUTES:
April 17, 2018 Regular Meeting: Mr. DeFelice moved and Mr. Welsh seconded a motion to approve the minutes of the regular meeting of April 17, 2018 and the Trustees voted with three affirmative votes to approve the motion.
FISCAL OFFICER’S REPORT:
A RESOLUTION TO APPROVE AND PAY THE ATTACHED LIST OF BILLS AS THE LAWFUL OBLIGATIONS OF HARRISON TOWNSHIP. Mr. Welsh moved and Mr. DeFelice seconded and the Trustees voted with three affirmative votes to approve R18-38.
With no further comments and all scheduled matters attended to, Mr. DeFelice moved and Dr. Freeman seconded the motion to adjourn the May 1, 2018 Board of Trustee Meeting. All were in favor and the meeting was adjourned at 8:40pm.