HARRISON TOWNSHIP TRUSTEES MEETING
May 20, 2014
The State Fire Marshal, Larry Flowers presented Awards for Heroism to Harrison Township Fire Captain Chad Noggle, Harrison Township Firefighters Beau Ramey and Matthew Scholl, and Scioto Township Firefighter Paul Shambaugh. Many visitors were present for this ceremony at 7:00pm.
REGULAR MEETING CALL TO ORDER:
Chairman Paul Welsh called the Regular Trustee Meeting of May 20, 2014 to order at 7:10pm at the Harrison Township Building, 2746 Weigand Road, Lockbourne, Ohio. Attending were Trustee Keith Peters, Trustee Doug Clark, Fiscal Officer MaryAnn Elliott, Fire Chief Eric Edgington, Zoning Inspector Joe DeFelice and Road/Cemetery Superintendent Kevin Hulse. Residents Betty Barnes and Madelyn Davidson were also present.
HEARING OF VISITORS:
- Betty Barnes asked about the veteran’s plaque at her husband’s gravesite. It is sinking and needs to be raised. Mr. Welsh said he would get the information and call Mrs. Barnes.
- Madelyn Davidson said the veteran’s plaque at her father’s grave is also sinking and she would like the same information. Mr. Welsh will call her also.
- June 9th is the hearing of the Appeals Board for Paul Pence.
- Joe contacted Jayme regarding the Burdak property and she will contact the Burdak’s attorney.
- Trucco is digging a pond at Duvall and Ashville Pike. They don’t have a zoning application. They are continuing to dig the pond and will pay the fine for starting without the permit.
- Jayme needs a resolution from the Trustees to prosecute Danny Bailey for not cleaning up his property according to Section 26.05 of the Zoning Resolution.
A RESOLUTION TO HAVE THE PROSECUTOR’S OFFICE PROCEED WITH PROSECUTING DANNY K & TERESA L BAILEY FOR NOT COMPLYING WITH THE ZONING RESOLUTION (SECTION 26.05) AS STATED IN THE ZONING VIOLATION ISSUED JULY 31, 2013. Mr. Clark moved and Mr. Peters seconded and the Trustees voted with three yes votes to approve R14-37.
- Mr. Bailey did fill out a zoning application for the accessory building on his property, but it was denied as it is eight feet from the property line and should be twenty feet. He will also need to file for a variance.
- The Trustees decided to recommend that the Zoning Commission hold a public hearing to consider an amendment to the Harrison Township Zoning Resolution forbidding the construction or use of a sludge pond.
A RESOLUTION TO HAVE THE ZONING COMMISSION HOLD A PUBLIC HEARING TO CONSIDER AN AMENDMENT TO THE HARRISON TOWNSHIP ZONING RESOLUTION Section 27.11 (SEE ATTACHED). Mr. Peters moved and Mr. Clark seconded and the Trustees voted with three yes votes to approve R14-38.
- Kevin presented a proposal for concrete work on the stage area at the cemetery for $954.00. The Trustees decided to wait for this since it couldn’t be completed by Memorial Day.
There is a grave that has items in front, back and on both sides of the headstone. Kevin has asked the owner twice to remove the things from the back and sides but the items are still there. The Trustees told Kevin to remove those items from the gravesite.
FIRE CHIEF’S REPORT:
- Muhlenberg Township sent minutes from their Trustee meeting noting the change in the Fire Contract of area covered on Pherson Pike.
- The Chief’s Pay and Benefits package was discussed and approved as of June 1, 2014. (See attached.)
A RESOLUTION TO APPROVE THE FIRE CHIEF’S PAY AND BENEFITS PACKAGE AS OF JUNE 1, 2014. (SEE ATTACHED.) Mr. Peters moved and Mr. Clark seconded and the Trustees voted with three yes votes to approve R14-39.
- Only five (of twelve) signed easements have been returned from the residents on Lockbourne Eastern Road. The Trustees will contact the remaining residents to have them return their forms.
- The Trustees discussed the request from Giuseppe Vercellotti, an Ohio State professor, who is seeking permission to excavate the Cholera cemetery for research at The Ohio State University.
A RESOLUTION TO APPROVE THE EXCAVATION OF THE HARRISON TOWNSHIP CHOLERA CEMETERY AS DESCRIBED IN THE ATTACHED EMAIL, FOR RESEARCH WHICH WOULD BE DONE AT THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY. Mr. Peters moved and Mr. Clark seconded and the Trustees voted with three yes votes to approve R14-40.
- We received certified mail regarding 45.725 acres that South Bloomfield annexed from Harrison Township at a hearing before the Board of Commissioners on May 6th, 2014. We weren’t notified until May 16, 2014.
- Mr. Peters suggested hiring Roese Brothers Paving to repair the asphalt on Shepherd Road.
A RESOLUTION TO HAVE ROESE BROTHERS PAVING REPAIR THE ASPHALT AND CONSTRUCT A CATCH BASIN ON SHEPHERD ROAD AS DESCRIBED IN THE ATTACHED PROPOSAL FOR $8505.00. Mr. Peters moved and Mr. Clark seconded and the Trustees voted with three yes votes to approve R14-41.
ACTION ON MINUTES:
May 6, 2014 Regular meeting: Mr. Peters moved and Mr. Welsh seconded a motion to approve the minutes of the regular meeting of May 6, 2014 and the Trustees voted with three yes votes. Motion carried.
FISCAL OFFICER’S REPORT:
A RESOLUTION TO APPROVE AND PAY THE ATTACHED LIST OF BILLS AS THE LAWFUL OBLIGATIONS OF HARRISON TOWNSHIP. Mr. Peters moved and Mr. Clark seconded and the Trustees voted with three yes votes to approve R14-42.
With no further comments and all scheduled matters attended to, Mr. Clark moved and Mr. Peters seconded the motion to adjourn the May 20, 2014 Board of Trustee Meeting. All were in favor and the meeting was adjourned at 8:10pm.