HARRISON TOWNSHIP TRUSTEE MEETING
September 4, 2018
REGULAR MEETING CALL TO ORDER:
Chairman Joe DeFelice called the Regular Trustee Meeting of September 4, 2018 to order with the Pledge of Allegiance at 7:00pm at the Harrison Township Building, 2746 Weigand Road, Lockbourne, Ohio. Attending were Trustee Joe DeFelice, Trustee Bill Welsh, Trustee Mike Freeman, Fiscal Officer MaryAnn Elliott, Fire Chief Chad Noggle, Zoning Inspector Dale Hoover and Road/Cemetery Superintendent Kevin Hulse. Fire Captain Shawn Davidson, Fire Lieutenant Colt Cline, Fire Lieutenant Jeremiah Withers and family members and friends of Lieutenant Withers were also present. Also attending were Pickaway County Sheriff Deputy Gabe Carpenter and resident Robert Gonzalez.
Trustee Bill Welsh administered the Fire Lieutenant’s Oath of Office to Jeremiah Withers and his father pinned his badge. The Trustees and all present congratulated Lieutenant Withers and several pictures were taken.
HEARING OF VISITORS:
- Robert Gonzalez, a Hoover Road resident asked the Trustees about speed limits on township roads that do not have speed limit signs and what the procedure is to get the limit changed. After some discussion, Mr. DeFelice said he will get some answers for Mr. Gonzalez and Sheriff Deputy Gabe Carpenter also said he would do some research and get back with Mr. Gonzalez.
- Officer Carpenter said he was here as our liaison and asked if there were any questions or situations he should be aware of. The Trustees stated there were nothing currently.
- Dale issued a right-of-way permit to Fishel Company; zoning applications to Jeremy Beard and Tradeport Building #3. He also received the documents and a request for re-zoning from the Delong Company for the Grain Facility.
- Mr. Welsh asked if Dale had checked with the Prosecutor regarding the Grain Storage Moving Facility. He had checked, and was told it is commercial, not agriculture.
- The Fiscal Officer asked about an email from David Hubin regarding using a backhoe to dig in the Cholera Cemetery. Dr. Freeman will contact him and explain that they cannot use our backhoe due to the liability.
- August 22 and 23 all shepherd hooks were removed from the gravesites.
- All roadsides and cemetery roads have been sprayed.
- Kevin asked for a vacation day on September 7th. Dr. Freeman made a motion to approve this vacation time and Mr. DeFelice seconded the motion. This vacation time was approved.
- Mr. DeFelice asked Kevin to check with the County Engineer to see if we will receive salt or a salt/grits mix as in previous years.
FIRE CHIEF’S REPORT:
- Columbus State brought students to the Fire Station for some training and then sent a check for $250.00 to the department. The Chief asked to have this donated to the Firefighter’s Association. Mr. Welsh made a motion to give this check to the Firefighter’s Association and Dr. Freeman seconded the motion. The Trustees voted with three affirmative votes to approve the motion.
- Issac Wojciechowski started full-time today and Tim Campbell will start full-time on Sept 9, 2018.
- The Chief updated the Trustees on the incident on August 29th at Ross Correctional Institution. There was an “all-call” for Pickaway County units and 7 EMS vehicles were sent.
- Engine 801 is at Ohio Cat being repaired. A fox got into the engine compartment and caused major damage. This will be an insurance claim. We have borrowed an engine from Jackson Township.
- The Chief received a verbal complaint regarding a run. He investigated the complaint and found no valid grounds. He would like to develop a complaint form that must be filled out and signed by anyone wishing to file a complaint so all matters can be researched and responded to. The Trustees agreed and the Chief will submit a form for approval.
- Dr. Freeman has completed the OTARMA grant and will fax and mail it tomorrow.
- Dr. Freeman will check with John Horsley to see if the cemetery information has been entered in the computer.
- The Chief said none of the firefighters are interested in adding additional insurance through the Colonial Life plan that was offered at the last meeting. The Trustees asked the Fiscal Officer to contact Jason Rubinstein and explain that there is no interest.
ACTION ON MINUTES:
August 21, 2018 Regular Meeting: Mr. Welsh moved and Mr. DeFelice seconded a motion to approve the minutes of the regular meeting of August 21, 2018 and the Trustees voted with two affirmative votes to approve the motion. Dr. Freeman abstained from voting as he was not present for the August 21 meeting.
FISCAL OFFICER’S REPORT:
A RESOLUTION TO APPROVE THE REALLOCATION OF $100.00 FROM ROADS WORKERS’ COMP TO ROADS TAX COLLECTION FEES TO ACCEPT THE MOBILE HOME TAXES. Mr. DeFelice moved and Dr. Freeman seconded and the Trustees voted with three affirmative votes to approve R18-80.
A RESOLUTION TO ACCEPT THE AMOUNTS AND RATES AS DETERMINED BY THE BUDGET COMMISSION AND AUTHORIZING THE NECESSARY TAX LEVIES AND CERTIFYING THEM TO THE COUNTY AUDITOR FOR THE FISCAL YEAR COMMENCING JANUARY 1, 2019. Mr. DeFelice moved and Dr. Freeman seconded and the Trustees voted with a roll call: Mr. DeFelice, yes; Dr. Freeman, yes; Mr. Welsh, yes. R18-81 was approved.
The Trustees discussed the Itemized Report of Distribution of Local Government Funds and again questioned why Harrison Township only receives 3.7954% of the $1,115,975.63 distributed by the County.
A RESOLUTION TO APPROVE AND PAY THE ATTACHED LIST OF BILLS AS THE LAWFUL OBLIGATIONS OF HARRISON TOWNSHIP. Mr. DeFelice moved and Mr. Welsh seconded and the Trustees voted with three affirmative votes to approve R18-82.
With no further comments and all scheduled matters attended to, Dr. Freeman moved and Mr. DeFelice seconded the motion to adjourn the September 4, 2018 Board of Trustee Meeting. All were in favor and the meeting adjourned at 8:25pm.