April 2, 2019
HARRISON TOWNSHIP TRUSTEE MEETING
April 2, 2019
REGULAR MEETING CALL TO ORDER:
Chairman Mike Freeman called the Regular Trustee Meeting of April 2, 2019 to order with the Pledge of Allegiance at 7:00pm at the Harrison Township Building, 2746 Weigand Road, Lockbourne, Ohio. Attending were Trustee Joe DeFelice, Trustee Mike Freeman, Trustee Bill Welsh, Fiscal Officer MaryAnn Elliott, Assistant Fiscal Officer Lindsay Mayse, Fire Chief Chad Noggle, Zoning Inspector Dale Hoover, Road/Cemetery Superintendent Kevin Hulse and employee Darryl Ward. Also present were Craig Stevenson, Fire Captain Shawn Davidson and Madison Township Trustees: Jeff Derr, Austin Brown and Ryan Smith.
HEARING OF VISITORS:
- Craig Stevenson was present to update the Trustees on the OPWC grant for the Lockbourne Eastern Road and Duvall Road intersection. The official word should come in May, but it appears that it will be approved. Craig encouraged the Trustees to try to acquire the easement from the property owners. Craig offered to write a letter to the homeowners from his office detailing the benefits and improvements and asking for the easement. Craig will also contact the utilities to begin the process of what needs to be moved.
- Dale signed a letter to Carl and Gerlinda Salyers on SR 752 regarding their zoning violation.
- The Appeals Board is holding two hearings on April 15th.
- Nothing has happened yet regarding the kayak business, but if people start parking there, Dale will notify the owners that they must get the property re-zoned.
- Mr. DeFelice met with Barry McConnel on Bulen Pierce Road regarding his ditch which is not draining due to a blockage at his neighbor’s. He also met with Don Main who lives next door and said he would take care of cleaning out the ditch so it will drain.
- Kevin had quotes for repairing the old steam cleaner and pricing for a new one. The Trustees tabled a decision on this item.
- Gloyd’s Home Improvements submitted an estimate for removing the rotted wood around the front window and installing treated wood and new metal to cover it for $390.00. Mr. DeFelice moved to accept this bid from Gloyd’s and Mr. Welsh seconded it. The Trustees voted with three affirmative votes to approve the motion.
- Dr. Freeman stated that Chris Pence will fill in the graves at the Cholera Cemetery.
- The Trustees directed the cemetery employees to remove all bricks and all items that are not allowed as per the cemetery rules.
- Kevin asked for an hour off on Tuesday and Wednesday, April 9th and 10th as vacation time. Dr. Freeman moved to allow Kevin to take this time off. Mr. DeFelice seconded the motion and the Trustees voted with three affirmative votes to approve the motion.
- Mr. DeFelice talked with the County Engineers regarding Tradeport Road. They are not turning that road over to the Township. It will remain a private road. If they turn it over at a later time, the Township can require and inspection of the road and sewer line to ascertain they are in good shape.
- Darryl asked about the tombstones that have been removed by families and left sitting behind the garage for years. Some have been there for 25 to 30 years. The Trustees will check on any rules regarding these.
- Darryl presented a drawing using 2’x 2’x 6’ precast cement blocks to place behind the garage to clean up that area. The Trustees tabled a decision on this purchase until a later meeting.
FIRE CHIEF’S REPORT:
- The new door security system should be done by next week.
- Utility 801 is at Coughlin’s for a new transmission which will be $6000.00.
- The Chief is looking into the cost of a re-chassis for the ambulance vs. a new truck.
- The Chief discussed the need for a Chief’s vehicle. The Trustees asked him to prioritize the upcoming needs for the department and report back to them.
- The Chief is also looking at the possibility of hiring a part-time Fire Prevention Officer.
Mr. Welsh made a motion to go into executive session at 8:29pm to discuss a personnel matter with Darryl Ward and invited Darryl and Lindsay Mayse to join the executive session. Mr. DeFelice seconded the motion and the Trustees voted: Mr. DeFelice, yes; Mr. Welsh, yes; Dr. Freeman, yes.
At 8:57pm Mr. Welsh made a motion to leave executive session. Mr. DeFelice seconded the motion and the Trustees voted: Mr. DeFelice, yes; Mr. Welsh, yes; Dr. Freeman, yes.
A RESOLUTION TO HIRE DARRYL WARD AS A FULL TIME HARRISON TOWNSHIP EMPLOYEE WORKING 32 TO 40 HOURS PER WEEK AT $19.00 PER HOUR EFFECTIVE APRIL 3, 2019. DRIVING THE SNOW PLOW WOULD CONTINUE TO BE PAID $20.00 PER HOUR. Mr. DeFelice moved and Mr. Welsh seconded and the Trustees voted with three affirmative votes to approve R19-35.
A RESOLUTION TO APPOINT DARRYL WARD AS THE CEMETERY SEXTON AND CEMETERY SUPERINTENDENT AND THE ASSISTANT ROAD SUPERINTENDENT EFFECTIVE APRIL 3, 2019. Mr. DeFelice moved and Mr. Welsh seconded and the Trustees voted with three affirmative votes to approve R19-36.
A RESOLUTION TO HAVE KEVIN HULSE CONTINUE AS THE ROAD SUPERINTENDENT AND APPOINT HIM AS THE ASSISTANT CEMETERY SUPERINTENDENT AND ASSISTANT CEMETERY SEXTON EFFECTIVE APRIL 3, 2019. Mr. Welsh moved and Mr. DeFelice seconded and the Trustees voted with three affirmative votes to approve R19-37.
A RESOLUTION TO TERMINATE JOHN HORSLEY AS THE CEMETERY SEXTON EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY. Mr. DeFelice moved and Dr. Freeman seconded and the Trustees voted: Mr. DeFelice, yes; Dr. Freeman, yes; Mr. Welsh, yes. The resolution R19-38 was approved with three affirmative votes The Trustees signed the letter of termination for John Horsley which will be sent certified mail on April 3, 2019.
ACTION ON MINUTES:
March 19, 2019 Regular Meeting: Mr. DeFelice moved and Mr. Welsh seconded a motion to approve the minutes of the regular meeting of March 19, 2019 and the Trustees voted with three affirmative votes to approve the motion.
FISCAL OFFICER’S REPORT:
- The Trustees approved the bank statement.
- The Trustees approved the time cards.
A RESOLUTION TO APPROVE AND PAY THE ATTACHED LIST OF BILLS AS THE LAWFUL OBLIGATIONS OF HARRISON TOWNSHIP. Mr. DeFelice moved and Mr. Welsh seconded and the Trustees voted with two affirmative votes to approve R19-39.
With no further comments and all scheduled matters attended to, Mr. Welsh moved and Dr. Freeman seconded the motion to adjourn the April 2, 2019 Board of Trustee Meeting. All were in favor and the meeting adjourned at 9:36pm.