The unincorporated area of Harrison Township is divided into districts or zones. In order to promote and protect the public health, safety, and general welfare of residents of Harrison Township, the Board of Township Trustees has adopted a Zoning Resolution. The Zoning Resolution:
- regulates the use of land areas and the construction, restoration and/or alteration of buildings and uses therein
- restricts the area dimensions of land, yards, and open spaces so as to secure adequate light, air, and safety from fire and other dangers
- controls the bulk, height, density, and location of buildings
- protects and preserves existing natural resources
- assures the orderly growth and development of lands
all as permitted by the provisions of Chapter 519 of the Ohio Revised Code.
The Zoning Inspector is an employee of Harrison Township, hired by the Board of Trustees. The Inspector’s responsibilities include: enforcing the Zoning Resolution, investigating complaints from residents, issuing zoning certificates, collecting fees, making and keeping records, inspecting building or lands, and advising the Rural Zoning Commission and the Board of Zoning Appeals.
Submit forms and inquiries to:
Harrison Township Zoning Inspector
P.O. Box 22
Ashville, Ohio 43103
When should the zoning inspector be contacted?
Common examples of when to contact the inspector include when you are building a new structure, adding enclosed square footage to an existing structure, constructing a pond or a driveway. Please refer to the Zoning Resolution linked below for more information.
RURAL ZONING COMMISSION
The Rural Zoning Commission meets on the second Monday of January, April, July, and October at 6:00 PM.
The Rural Zoning Commission has powers and duties as outlined in detail in the Zoning Resolution which include the ability to:
- . initiate amendments to the Zoning Resolution, pursuant to Article VI of the Zoning Resolution, and
- . review proposed amendments to the Zoning Resolution and make recommendations to the Board of Township Trustees.
The Commission consists of five residents of the unincorporated area of Harrison Township as appointed by the Board of Township Trustees.
Kelly Spriggs, Chair (thru 2024)
Ronde Cook-Brushart, Vice-Chair (thru 2025)
Lisa Darnell, member (thru 2023)
Beth Spangler, member (thru 2022)
BOARD OF ZONING APPEALS
The Board of Zoning Appeals meets the second Monday of January, April, July and October at 7:00 PM.
The Board of Zoning Appeals has numerous powers and duties as outlined in detail in the Zoning Resolution. Please refer to the Resolution for detailed information regarding each of the responsibilities including:
- . hearing and deciding appeals
- . authorizing variances
- . interpreting the boundaries of the Official Zoning Map
- . permitting conditional uses
- . authorizing the substitution or extension of nonconforming uses
- . authorizing extensions of time for completion of work specified in a zoning certificate
- . declaring zoning permits void
The Board of Zoning Appeals consists of five residents of the unincorporated area of Harrison Township as appointed by the Board of Township Trustees.
Leah Black, Chair (thru 2023)
Kenny Cookson, member (thru 2022)
Margaret L. Egbert, Vice-Chair (thru 2024)
Buck Spangler, member (thru 2025)
Zoning Resolution (searchable PDF, click to download)
Zoning District Map (click to download)
Schedule of Zoning Fees (click to download)
Record of Complaint Form (click to download)
Approved Residential Driveway Access (click to download)
Approved Standards for Rural Roadside Mailbox (click to download)