December 1, 2015
HARRISON TOWNSHIP TRUSTEE MEETING
December 1, 2015
REGULAR MEETING CALL TO ORDER:
Trustee Doug Clark called the Regular Trustee Meeting of December 1, 2015 to order at 7:00pm at the Harrison Township Building, 2746 Weigand Road, Lockbourne, Ohio. Attending were Trustee Doug Clark, Trustee Joe DeFelice, Trustee Paul Welsh, Fiscal Officer MaryAnn Elliott, Fire Chief Eric Edgington and Zoning Inspector Doug Czako. Road/Cemetery Superintendent Kevin Hulse was absent. Bill and Carol Welsh and Amber Justus were also present.
HEARING OF VISITORS:
- Amber Justus asked questions about the zoning violation she received for a building on her property at 13819 Hoover Road. It was enclosed without a permit and it sits closer than the 130 feet minimum from the center line of the road. Mr. DeFelice explained to her that she needs to apply for a zoning variance.
- Doug received a complaint from a resident regarding the abandoned vehicles and the number of dogs at the residence at 2515 State Route 752. The Trustees said that neither of these issues are zoning violations. The Sheriff should be called regarding the cars and the dog warden for the dog problem.
- A violation was given to the property owner at 13525 Hoover Road regarding his culvert. He said he is planning to fix the culvert.
ROAD/CEMETERY SUPERINTENDENT: None
FIRE CHIEF’S REPORT:
- The Chief had a copy of the Letter of Agreement for the Fire Station Remodel Project from NAI Equities. After much discussion it was agreed to table the decision. Mr. Clark moved to table the discussion until the next meeting. Mr. Welsh seconded the motion and the Trustees voted with three yes votes to table this decision.
- The Chief has two applications from firefighters who want to work as reserve firefighters. The Trustees stated that it was decided last year not to have any reserve positions and then the board approved adding two reserve positions in November. Mr. DeFelice moved that no additional reserve firefighters will be added until we see if having them is a benefit to the department. Mr. Welsh seconded the motion. Mr. DeFelice, yes; Mr. Welsh, yes; Mr. Clark, yes. Motion approved.
- Mr. DeFelice met with Dave from Roese Brothers Paving for a professional opinion on what has caused the road damage at 13525 Hoover Road. Dave Roese said absolutely the damage was caused by the resident turning dump trucks into his driveway. The Assistant Prosecutor stated that if we could get a written professional opinion of the cause, we could charge the resident for the repair. Mr. Roese declined to put his opinion in writing.
- The Trustees discussed the excessive snowplow expense in previous years and decided to make some written guidelines to help with scheduling of drivers in an economical way to keep the roads clean.
A RESOLUTION TO ENTER INTO A CONTRACT WITH WALNUT TOWNSHIP, PICKAWAY COUNTY, OHIO TO FURNISH FIRE AND EMERGENCY PROTECTION TO WALNUT TOWNSHIP AND THE INHABITANTS THEREOF FOR THE CALENDAR YEAR 2016. Mr. DeFelice moved and Mr. Welsh seconded and the Trustees voted with three yes votes to approve R15-87.
A RESOLUTION TO ENTER INTO A CONTRACT WITH MADISON TOWNSHIP, PICKAWAY COUNTY, OHIO TO FURNISH FIRE AND EMERGENCY PROTECTION TO MADISON TOWNSHIP AND THE INHABITANTS THEREOF FOR THE CALENDAR YEAR 2016. Mr. Clark moved and Mr. Welsh seconded and the Trustees voted with three yes votes to approve R15-88.
At 8:11pm the clerk asked to go into executive session to discuss a fire department personnel matter. Mr. DeFelice made a motion to go into executive session. Mr. Welsh seconded the motion and the Trustees voted with three yes votes to enter into executive session.
At 8:24pm Mr. DeFelice made a motion to leave executive session. Mr. Welsh seconded the motion and the Trustees voted with three yes votes to leave executive session.
Because the Trustees have offered the union firefighters a mid-term salary increase, they discussed raising the Fire Chief’s pay.
A RESOLUTION TO INCREASE THE FIRE CHIEF’S SALARY JANUARY 1, 2016 AS PER THE ATTACHED CONTRACT. Mr. Welsh moved and Mr. De Felice seconded. The vote was called for: Mr. Clark, yes; Mr. DeFelice, yes; Mr. Welsh, yes. R15-89 was approved.
ACTION ON MINUTES:
November 17, 2015 Regular meeting: Mr. DeFelice moved and Mr. Welsh seconded a motion to approve the minutes of the regular meeting of November 17, 2015 and the Trustees voted with two yes votes. Motion carried. Mr. Clark abstained from voting as he was absent from that meeting.
FISCAL OFFICER’S REPORT:
A RESOLUTION TO CLOSE THE EMS BILLING CHECKING ACCOUNT AT VINTON COUNTY NATIONAL BANK AND DEPOSIT THE BALANCE OF $53,999.48 IN THE GENERAL CHECKING ACCOUNT AT THE SAVINGS BANK. Mr. Welsh moved and Mr. DeFelice seconded and the Trustees voted with three yes votes to approve R15-90.
A RESOLUTION TO APPROVE AND PAY THE ATTACHED LIST OF BILLS AS THE LAWFUL OBLIGATIONS OF HARRISON TOWNSHIP. Mr. DeFelice moved and Mr. Welsh seconded and the Trustees voted with three yes votes to approve R15-91.
With no further comments and all scheduled matters attended to, Mr. DeFelice moved and Mr. Welsh seconded the motion to adjourn the December 1, 2015 Board of Trustee Meeting. All were in favor and the meeting was adjourned at 8:25pm.