May 5, 2015
HARRISON TOWNSHIP TRUSTEE MEETING
May 5, 2015
REGULAR MEETING CALL TO ORDER:
Chairman Keith Peters called the Trustee Regular Meeting of May 5, 2015 to order at 7:00pm at the Harrison Township Building, 2746 Weigand Road, Lockbourne, Ohio. Attending were Trustee Keith Peters, Trustee Doug Clark, Trustee Paul Welsh, Fiscal Officer MaryAnn Elliott, Fire Chief Eric Edgington, Zoning Inspector Joe DeFelice and Road/Cemetery Superintendent Kevin Hulse. Brittany Curtis was also present.
HEARING OF VISITORS:
- Brittany Curtis complained about the damage done to her car on Miller Road. She stated that a chunk of asphalt destroyed the oil pan on her car. Mr. Peters explained that according to the Prosecutor’s office the township is not liable for the damage done to a vehicle, but we could offer to pay the insurance deductible. Ms. Curtis presented two estimates for repair. The Trustees asked her what the deductible was on her insurance and she replied that she did not have insurance on the vehicle. Mr. Clark made the motion to pay her $250.00 toward the repair if she would agree to sign a waiver of future liability from the Prosecutor’s office. Mr. Welsh seconded the motion and the Trustees voted with three yes votes to approve the payment of $250.00. Mr. Peters will contact Jayme for the Waiver of Liability and then the clerk will contact Ms. Curtis.
- The damage done to Miller Road was extensive. We currently have a contract with Roese Bros. Paving to re-grade and repave Miller Road, but it needed to be repaired immediately. Mr. Peters contacted Roese Brothers to do an immediate, emergency repair for $6000.00.
- Verizon Wireless contacted Joe and they will submit a conditional use application as required by our zoning resolution.
- Shelly Materials is hoping to put a gravel quarry on the SE corner of SR23 and Weigand Road. They have not submitted the application yet, but Joe said our land use plan allows for gravel quarries in the flood plain along the river.
- Joe attended the Pickaway Planning Commission meeting and they were discussing variances for cul-de-sacs up to 1300 feet for Duke in the northern township. Mr. Peters will call the Pickaway Planning Commission and inform them that the Trustees are opposed to the extended length of these cul-de-sacs because of the additional expense for the township.
- The clerk received a copy of a letter from the Pickaway County Building Department for a Notice of Violation/Adjudication Order against a property at 11377 Ashville Pike. Instead of writing letters from the Trustees to the owners of the Renick and Gregg properties as suggested in the previous meeting, the clerk suggests asking the Building Department to inspect and determine whether or not these properties are inhabitable. The Trustees agreed.
- Kevin presented a contract from Nutter Excavating to dig a grave when nearby headstones need to be moved or there are other problems/dangers for our workers to dig. Nutter Excavating will dig those graves on as “as needed/if available” basis for $200.00 per grave. This contract amount is valid through May 5, 2016. Mr. Clark moved and Mr. Welsh seconded and the Trustees voted with three yes votes to approve this contract with Nutter Excavating.
- There will be a Memorial Day service at the cemetery. Brian Stewart will be the speaker. A Pearl Harbor survivor, who is buried at the cemetery, will be honored. Kevin will see that the steps to the platform are repaired before Memorial Day.
FIRE CHIEF’S REPORT:
- The Chief presented the attached Chief’s report.
- The Trustees discussed the plan submitted by the architect for the remodeling work at the fire station to address the safety and code issues which must be corrected. The architect needs to change the plans and then we can put the project out for bid.
- Mr. Peters and the clerk signed the final Final Disbursement Request for the Ohio Public Works Commission for the Lockbourne Eastern Ditch Project.
ACTION ON MINUTES:
April 21, 2015 Regular meeting: Mr. Clark moved and Mr. Peters seconded a motion to approve the minutes of the regular meeting of April 21, 2015 and the Trustees voted with two yes votes. Motion carried. Mr. Welsh abstained from voting as he was absent from the April 21 meeting.
FISCAL OFFICER’S REPORT:
- The Workers’ Comp rate was raised from .019447 to .037059. We need to appropriate additional funds for workers’ comp in both Fire and Cemetery Funds.
A RESOLUTION FOR A SUPPLEMENTAL APPROPRIATION OF $6000.00 FROM THE FIRE FUND TO WORKERS’ COMP 2111-220-230-0000. Mr. Clark moved and Mr. Welsh seconded and the Trustees voted with three yes votes to approve R15-33.
A RESOLUTION FOR A SUPPLEMENTAL APPROPRIATION OF $300.00 FROM THE CEMETERY FUND TO WORKERS’ COMP 2041-410-230-0000. Mr. Clark moved and Mr. Welsh seconded and the Trustees voted with three yes votes to approve R15-34.
A RESOLUTION TO TRANSFER $50,000.00 FROM THE VINTON COUNTY NAT’L BANK TO THE PRIMARY CHECKING ACCOUNT AT THE SAVINGS BANK. Mr. Welsh moved and Mr. Clark seconded and the Trustees voted with three yes votes to approve R15-35. Mr. Peters and Mr. Clark signed the check with the Fiscal Officer.
A RESOLUTION TO APPROVE AND PAY THE ATTACHED LIST OF BILLS AS THE LAWFUL OBLIGATIONS OF HARRISON TOWNSHIP. Mr. Welsh moved and Mr. Clark seconded and the Trustees voted with three yes votes to approve R15-36.
With no further comments and all scheduled matters attended to, Mr. Peters moved and Mr. Welsh seconded the motion to adjourn the May 5, 2015 Board of Trustee Meeting. All were in favor and the meeting was adjourned at 8:10pm.