HARRISON TOWNSHIP TRUSTEES MEETING
September 2, 2014
REGULAR MEETING CALL TO ORDER:
Chairman Paul Welsh called the Regular Trustee Meeting of September 2, 2014 to order at 7:00pm at the Harrison Township Building, 2746 Weigand Road, Lockbourne, Ohio. Attending were Trustee Doug Clark, Trustee Keith Peters, Fiscal Officer MaryAnn Elliott, Zoning Inspector Joe DeFelice and Road/Cemetery Superintendent Kevin Hulse. Fire Chief Eric Edgington was absent.
HEARING OF VISITORS: None
- Mr. Clark reported that Assistant Prosecutor Jayme Fountain said that a zoning secretary needs to live in Harrison Township, but may live in the Village of Ashville or South Bloomfield.
- Letters have been sent from the Prosecutor’s office, dated August 28th, to the Baileys and Burdaks requiring them to correct their zoning violations within fifteen days or action will be filed in Common Pleas Court.
- The Horse Training and Boarding Facility on 104 acres at 0 Miller Road, Ashville, Ohio which will be built by LW Associates, Inc. was discussed. Joe originally accepted a $250.00 fee for a conditional use permit for this facility. In August, Jayme Fountain, Assistant Prosecuting Attorney received a letter from Attorney Catherine Cunningham citing statutes and case law in Ohio finding a horse boarding and training facility to be exempt from township zoning and regulation. Attorney Fountain concurs with Attorney Cunningham. Attorney Cunningham also asked that the $250.00 fee paid by Dr. Barbara A. Lightner be returned to LW Associates, Inc.
A RESOLUTION TO MAKE THE LETTERS FROM ASSISTANT PROSECUTING ATTORNEY JAYME HARTLEY FOUNTAIN AND ATTORNEY CATHERINE A. CUNNINGHAM REGARDING THE HORSE TRAINING AND BOARDING FACILITY PART OF THE RECORD OF THIS MEETING AND ATTACHED TO THE MINTUES. Mr. Clark moved and Mr. Peters seconded and the Trustees voted. Roll call: Mr. Welsh, yes; Mr. Peters, yes; Mr. Clark, yes. The motion passed and R14-69 was approved.
- The clerk asked who the $250.00 refund should be sent to. The Trustees approved returning the funds. Joe will ask Attorney Cunningham who she wants the funds sent to when he calls her to inquire about zoning permits for the sleeping quarters and administration building at the Horse Training and Boarding Facility.
- Mr. Welsh received a call from the family of the Seymour grave, who had requested in May that two bushes be removed from near the headstone. They said the bushes have been cut down but the stumps are still there. Kevin said they haven’t been done yet and Mr. Welsh asked him to remove them.
- Kevin asked for September 12th The Trustees agreed.
- Kevin said the tailgate was left down on the dump truck and it was backed into something and damaged. Mr. Clark will call Digger McCray and ask if one of his employees did this when they were digging the graves last week.
- The clerk shared a letter from James Iverson commending the cemetery caretakers on the maintenance of the cemetery.
FIRE CHIEF’S REPORT:
- The Chief submitted a report. No items required approval.
- Although several of the residents on northern Lockbourne Eastern Road have said they would sign the easements for the ditch project, we have not received any additional. The Trustees have been trying to get the residents to sign since February of this year and after some discussion, decided to have the plans re-drawn by Harral and Stevenson to use the right-of way for the properties that do not wish to have the ditch improvement.
A RESOLUTION TO HAVE HARRAL AND STEVENSON MODIFY THE DITCH PROJECT ON LOCKBOURNE EASTERN ROAD AND ATTEND THE NEXT TRUSTEE MEETING. Mr. Peters moved and Mr. Clark seconded and the Trustees voted with three yes votes to approve R14-70.
- The clerk reported on the meeting that she and the Fire Chief had with Frank Harmon of Ohio Insurance regarding our insurance renewal. The 3000 employees in the Ohio Public Entity Consortium are joining the Jefferson Health Plan which has 12,000 employees. This is a self-funded plan with a reserve of $100 million dollars. Our rates for the same plan will stay the same for 2015. Although we are committed to the group for three years (until 12-31-2017), we can change the coverage/benefits/deductible from year to year if desired. This renewal is a three year commitment with a three month penalty if we leave the group before then.
A RESOLUTION TO JOIN THE OHIO PUBLIC ENTITY CONSORTIUM HEALTHCARE COOPERATIVE EFFECTIVE OCTOBER 1, 2014, AT THE BENEFIT LEVELS AND COST STRUCTURE AS PRESENTED IN THE PROPOSAL. Mr. Peters moved and Mr. Clark seconded and the Trustees voted with three yes votes to approve R14-71.
- Mr. Clark read a letter that was left in the door of the Township Building. It was from Dona McFarland asking for help getting cemetery deeds showing that they owned plots in the cemetery. That deed was among the cemetery deeds that the clerk presented to the Trustees to sign at this meeting and the clerk will mail it to her tomorrow.
ACTION ON MINUTES:
August 19, 2014 Regular meeting: Mr. Clark moved and Mr. Welsh seconded a motion to approve the minutes of the regular meeting of August 19, 2014 and the Trustees voted with two yes votes. Motion carried. Mr. Peters abstained from voting as he was absent from the August 19th meeting.
FISCAL OFFICER’S REPORT:
A RESOLUTION TO ACCEPT THE AMOUNTS AND RATES AS DETERMINED BY THE BUDGET COMMISSION AND AUTHORIZING THE NECESSARY TAX LEVIES AND CERTIFYING THEM TO THE COUNTY AUDITOR FOR THE FISCAL YEAR COMMENCING JANUARY 1, 2015. Mr. Clark moved and Mr. Peters seconded and the Trustees voted. Roll call: Mr. Peters, yes; Mr. Welsh, yes; Mr. Clark, yes. The motion passed and R14-72 was approved.
A RESOLUTION TO APPROVE AND PAY THE ATTACHED LIST OF BILLS AS THE LAWFUL OBLIGATIONS OF HARRISON TOWNSHIP. Mr. Peters moved and Mr. Clark seconded and the Trustees voted with three yes votes to approve R14-73.
With no further comments and all scheduled matters attended to, Mr. Clark moved and Mr. Peters seconded the motion to adjourn the September 2, 2014 Board of Trustee Meeting. All were in favor and the meeting was adjourned at 7:40pm.